2018 FOOTBALL GAMEDAY 101
McGuirk Alumni Stadium is accessible to the disabled community through various structural features and operational services. We welcome these guests to attend all events and offer the following services:
- ADA parking is available in the Red Lot, located on the south end of McGuirk Alumni
Stadium, and must be requested during the season ticket renewal process. Entry to the
Red Lot on gameday will require a Red Lot pass and a state-issued disabled parking
placard. Single-game Red Lot parking passes are $5 in advance and $10 on gameday.
Single-game Red Lot passes (and single-game tickets) are on sale on July 10.
- ADA accessible seating is located on the west side (press box side) of McGuirk Alumni
Stadium in Row A of Sections 1 through 8.
- Customer service personnel have been trained in emergency preparedness and
procedures, including total or partial evacuation. Designated team members will have the
primary duty of assisting guests with disabilities to specific locations.
- ADA restrooms are located in the south building at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
- Certified service animals on leashes are welcome at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
McGuirk Alumni Stadium will open 90 minutes prior to kickoff. Spectators (three (3) and older) must have a valid ticket to enter and are encouraged to enter McGuirk Alumni Stadium prior to kickoff. This serves to ease congestion at the gates. Once in the stadium, guests are not allowed to leave and re-enter. There is a no-entry policy. All bags will be searched upon entry.
Alcoholic beverages will be sold inside the stadium by UMass Auxiliary Services. Only those with proper identification will be permitted to purchase. Individuals must show proper ID each time they wish to purchase. Please drink responsibly. Fans are not permitted to bring cans, bottles, coolers or alcohol into the stadium. All bags will be searched upon entry. Alcohol will be confiscated at entry points, and if the patron is determined to be impaired, their ticket will be scanned and they will be escorted from the premises.
Only service animals are allowed inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Animals must be kept on a leash of six (6) feet or shorter in all tailgating areas at all times. Owners must remain in control of their animals at all times and are responsible for cleaning up any messes by their animals. Owners assume all financial responsibility for any damages to property or injury to individuals caused by the animals.
ATMs are located at the Southwest Horseshoe, adjacent to the Mullins Center Box Office on Commonwealth Ave., in the basement of Campus Center and at the Big Y Shopping Plaza on University Drive.
All fans, friends and families must attend the game, wear maroon, be proud and cheer loud!
All bags will be searched upon entry and re-entry to McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Bags larger than 14"x10"x5" are not permitted in McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Banners and Signs
Hand-held banners may be no larger than 3'x3' and must not obstruct the view of other guests during the game.
Barricades and Fencing
Guests may not erect or move barricades, barrels, fencing or any other traffic control devices. All signs and instructions must be obeyed.
There is no bicycle parking at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Video cameras, tripods and still lenses larger than 4” are prohibited.
Commercial Activity and Solicitations
Commercial activity and solicitations are not allowed on property. Unauthorized sale of merchandise, food or beverage is strictly prohibited.
A variety of in-stadium meal options, ranging from classic gameday fare to more contemporary and dietary items, are available for sale. Concession stands are located at the base of the McGuirk Alumni Stadium stands on both the east and west sidelines. Concession stands will include both beer and wine.
UMass hopes to provide a memorable gameday experience for all guests. Please help us to enhance the fan experience by demonstrating sportsmanship at all times. If you encounter unruly behavior, please contact a game management representative. Spectators must remain off the playing field at all times. UMass reserves the right to remove from the stadium, without refund, any individuals disrupting other guests, team representatives or officials. The person(s) issued the parking pass for tailgating activities are responsible for the conduct of their guests.
Drones, model aircrafts, kites and any other remote controlled or tethered flying objects are not permitted at or around McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Emergency and Medical Services, First Aid
Please report an emergency to a member of UMass/Amherst Police or a member of the event staff. Announcements and paging for emergencies are coordinated by contacting event staff. The First Aid area is located in the South Building behind the football scoreboard at the entrance designated with the First Aid Tent. There are also EMT’s inside the stadium stationed at the 50 yard lines on both sides of the field.
In the event UMass deems it necessary to evacuate McGuirk Alumni Stadium, an announcement will be made via the public address system and information will be displayed on the stadium's video board. Guests are asked to exit in an orderly fashion. Security personnel will be on hand to direct and assist guests. Guests are to exit through the nearest portal and proceed to the nearest stadium exit.
Flammables and Trash
Charcoal must be disposed of in hot coal barrels and garbage in trash and recycling receptacles throughout the tailgating areas. Grease, coals or other trash may not be disposed of on the ground. Please do not place charcoal or other flammables in trash cans, under trees or leave in the tailgating or parking areas.
Outside food or beverages are not allowed in McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Portable generators are permitted as long as they do not create excessive noise, emission hazards or other safety concerns.
Glass containers are strictly prohibited for use during tailgating activities.
Grills and Smokers
Grills and smokers must be attended to at all times and may not obstruct sidewalks, fire lanes or pedestrian walkways. Grills and smokers on trailers are allowed into the tailgating area and must fit within your designated space. Fires built on the ground and open fire pit devices are prohibited. Propane tanks cannot exceed a cylinder size of 20 pounds.
Guest Services is located next to Section 20, along the north concourse. The booths are staffed until 20 minutes after the game ends. Guest Services can assist with gameday questions, provide information, as well as lost and found retrieval. Members of the UMass Event Staff and UMass Security are located at each gate.
Lost or Missing Persons
Please contact the UMass Event Staff or UMPD at 413-545-3111. UMass Event Staff or a member of UMPD will stay with you until the missing person is found. If you become separated, contact the nearest stadium personnel for assistance.
Lost and Found
Items found during the game will be turned into Guest Services. Items not claimed and items found after the game and during Sunday clean-up will be turned over to UMass Facilities on Monday following games. Call 413-545-0075 to inquire if your item has been turned in.
Lost or Stolen Tickets
For information on lost or stolen tickets, contact the UMass Athletics Ticket Office at 413-545-0810.
Use of ATVs, golf carts, gators, scooters, mopeds and other motorized recreational vehicles is prohibited. Only properly credentialed motorized vehicles are allowed around and at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Music and Bands
Loud music, live bands and other live performances are not allowed in the tailgating areas. Music must be confined to your tailgating area. Event management reserves the right to ask for your music to be turned down or off. Amplified sound that may disrupt other guests is not allowed (external stereo speakers or the use of a DJ). Event management reserves the right request music to be turned down or off.
Prohibited Items Inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium
The following items are prohibited inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium
Bags & Backpacks larger than 14” x 10” x 5”
Camera Lenses Longer Than 4”
Drones & Remote Controlled Aircraft
Horns or Other Noisemakers
Illegal Drugs and Stimulants
Large Flags, Banners or Signs
Outside Food & Beverage/Alcohol
Pets (except service animals)
Sealed Bottles (empty bottles are permitted)
Any other items deemed dangerous or inappropriate by security or game management
Re-Entry is not permitted at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Portable toilets will be available throughout the tailgating and parking areas. Permanent restrooms are available inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium on the south end behind the scoreboard. There are no public restrooms in the Football Performance Center.
RV parking is located in Lot 14 and must be reserved. Access to reserved spots is available 5-10 p.m. the day prior to gameday and no earlier than 8 a.m. on gameday. All motor homes require exhaust extensions that reach the top of the motor home. For the safety of all, motor homes without an extension should not operate a generator. This also applies to generators used by fifth wheels.
Scalping or Re-Sale of Tickets
Tickets may not be sold on UMass property except by authorized personnel of the UMass Athletics Ticket Office staff. Tickets cannot be sold by unlicensed parties pursuant to Massachusetts G.L. c. 140, §185A.
Security and Safety
All guests and their items will be subject to physical inspection by security personnel. Do not leave valuables visible in your car and always lock your doors. Laptops, purses, GPS units, iPods and other electronic devices are especially at risk for theft. UMass is not responsible for any stolen items. Any item deemed dangerous or inappropriate by management can and will be prohibited from McGuirk Alumni Stadium. It is the responsibility of each patron to secure tailgating items prior to entering McGuirk Alumni Stadium. All valuables should be locked and placed out of sight, all flames and fires extinguished and all barbecue pits, tents, tables and chairs secured. Please obey all posted safety signage and use extreme caution driving into or leaving tailgating areas.
See Something, Say Something
Do not touch suspicious items or confront someone acting suspiciously. Please call the police in this situation. Watch for unattended packages, whether left behind accidentally or purposely. Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times. Remember if you see something suspicious, report it to the nearest police officer or UMass Event Staff.
Setup and Break Down
Tailgate setup may begin no earlier than designated parking lot opening time. There is no "set-up day" for tailgating spots. Overnight occupancy is not allowed. Tailgate spots must be cleaned up no later than 2 hours after the conclusion of the game.
The state of Massachusetts law prohibits smoking on University property, including inside and around McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
Stadium Seats and Seat Cushions
Stadium seat without arms are permitted in McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Stadium seats with arms are prohibited. Seat cushions narrower than 18 inches are permitted in McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Seat cushions wider than 18 inches are prohibited.
Strollers are not permitted inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Guests may leave strollers outside the gates at their own risk without blocking entrances and exits. UMass is not responsible for lost or stolen strollers.
UMass undergraduate students receive free admission to all UMass Athletics events. Students may enter McGuirk Alumni Stadium by simply swiping their UCard at the student entrance. UCards are also used for the student BBQ behind sections 9 and 10 at each game.
For policies, procedures and guidelines in Student Village, click here
UMass is a sustainable community for food, energy, waste and social equity. During tailgating activities, guests must recycle and refrain from littering. Gameday recycling bins will be available to decrease the amount of waste that is sent to landfills. UMass has placed numerous collection containers throughout the campus for recycling of plastic and aluminum items. Please help the campus recycling program by utilizing these containers. For more information on UMass' sustainability efforts, visit: here
Tents and Tailgating
Stay Grounded Tents or canopies must be secured and may not utilize stakes that penetrate the ground more than 12 inches. Tailgating amenities, including tents, canopies, furniture, grills, generators, cables or satellite dishes, may not obstruct sidewalks, drive lanes, pedestrian walkways or fire lanes.
Tickets and Will Call
The UMass Athletics Ticket Office is located at the Mullins Center and is open Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6:00 p.m. The McGuirk Alumni Stadium Ticket Office (ticket sales and will call), located outside the east gates of McGuirk Alumni Stadium on Stadium Drive, opens three (3) hours prior to kickoff and closes at the end of the third quarter. The satellite ticket trailer (ticket sales only) opens four (4) hours prior to kickoff and is located on Stadium Drive. UMass player guest and visiting team will call, located outside the east gates of McGuirk Alumni Stadium, opens 90 minutes prior to kickoff and closes at the end of the third quarter. Only the person whose name is on the ticket envelope may pick up the ticket(s). A photo ID is required for all will call transactions.
UMass conveniently places receptacles for the disposal of trash and other items throughout campus. Please help keep our campus clean by disposing of your trash.
Guests are encouraged to monitor the weather prior to the game and take the necessary precautions to protect your family and friends should severe weather be encountered before, during or after the game. In the event of inclement weather during the game, please be prepared to evacuate the stadium and return to your car. Emergency instructions will be delivered via the public address system and the message boards when possible. Umbrellas are not permitted inside the stadium. Sign up for UMass text alerts during your visit to campus by texting “UMassAlert3” to 78015.
Tailgating is a longstanding college football game-day tradition. At UMass, it is a game-day fixture that embraces the fellowship of friends, the UMass pride and spirit, and the great energy and support of our football program. The University of Massachusetts and UMass Athletics strongly encourage responsible tailgating in an effort to enhance the game-day experience, ensure a safe game-day atmosphere for all guests and preserve the beauty of our campus.
Individuals, groups and organizations participating in tailgate activities are responsible for their own conduct, are expected to respect the rights of others and the entire University community, and to attend the game!
As you take part in game-day activities, we ask that you please help us maintain the campus buildings, grounds and landscape which are important investments for students, faculty, staff and guests to enjoy. Inappropriate or dangerous behavior affecting the safety of guests, resulting in destruction of University property, facilities and/or grounds, and/or failing to adhere to these tailgating policies may result in the permanent and immediate loss of tailgating privileges.
- Laws and regulations of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the town of Amherst and University of Massachusetts on possession, consumption and distribution of drugs and alcohol will be strictly enforced.
- In accordance with the alcoholic beverage laws of the State of Massachusetts, individuals must be at least 21 years old to purchase, possess or consume alcoholic beverages. UMPD may ask for legal proof of identification for anyone appearing to be under 21. Those that choose to consume alcohol must be able to present a valid driver's license or photo ID to reflect their age upon request.
- If you are under the age of 21 and are holding or drinking alcohol, you are subject to arrest.
- If you are under the age of 21 and are driving a vehicle that contains alcohol, you are subject to arrest.
- If you are operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol, you are subject to arrest.
- Unruly or visibly intoxicated behavior will be grounds for removal from the venue or campus.
- Large source containers of alcohol (i.e. kegs, beer funnels, etc.), drinking games (beer pong, flip cup, beer ball, etc.) or other activities involving rapid and/or excessive alcohol consumption are strictly prohibited.
- All beverages must be consumed from non-glass containers/bottles. Kegs and glass containers are strictly prohibited for use during all game-day and tailgating activities.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages in designated lots may begin no earlier than four (4) hours prior to kick-off when parking lots open.
- The consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited inside UMass facilities unless otherwise designated and guests who appear to be impaired may not be permitted to enter McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
- Guests who use, consume or possess alcohol assume all responsibility and liability for any and all issues resulting from such matters related to alcohol.
- UMass students are also subject to on-campus rules and regulations associated with these legal violations. UMass students must adhere to the University’s policies governing consumption of alcoholic beverages as stated in the UMass Drug and Alcohol Polices and Student Code of Conduct.
Parking Area Guidelines
- All guests attending games at McGuirk Alumni Stadium will require a parking pass.
- Parking lots open and tailgating is permitted four (4) hours prior to kickoff at McGuirk Alumni Stadium. Parking or standing on roads prior to lots opening is prohibited.
- Tailgating ends at the start of kickoff. Guests that are still present in the parking lots at the start of the game must enter McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
- Tailgating is permitted after the game for 90 minutes. UMPD and game operations staff will ask guests to exit the parking lot areas after the allotted time.
- ONE VEHICLE = ONE SPACE: Vehicles and tailgating activities may occupy only one parking space in the designated lot and the area directly behind or in front of each vehicle. Blocking of the fire lane is prohibited. Roadways and additional spaces are to remain clear for emergency vehicle access.
- Marked parking spaces are for vehicles only. Parking spaces may not be used for tents, grills, chairs or other items.
- Greenspaces beyond the designated tailgating spaces are considered common ground. Driving or parking private vehicles on greenspaces (except reserved Stadium Drive areas), sidewalks and yellow curbs is strictly prohibited.
- UMPD and UMass Event Staff reserve the right to refuse parking service to anyone at any time. Inappropriate behavior will result in the permanent loss of all parking and tailgating privileges.
- All guests must follow the directions and instructions provided by stadium personnel (UMPD, UMass Event Staff, etc.). Failure to do so may result in removal from the premises.
- The state of Massachusetts law prohibits smoking on University property, including inside and around McGuirk Alumni Stadium
- Overnight occupancy is prohibited in tailgating areas.
- Amplified sound that may disrupt other guests is not allowed (external stereo speakers or the use of a DJ). Event management reserves the right request music to be turned down or off.
- Use of motorized recreational vehicles, including four-wheelers, golf carts, mules, gators, scooters, motorized skateboards, etc., is prohibited.
- Tents or canopies must be secured and may not utilize stakes. They may not obstruct sidewalks, drive lanes or pedestrian walkways.
- Grills and smokers must be attended to at all times. Fires built on the ground and open fire pit devices are prohibited. Propane tanks cannot exceed a cylinder size of 20 pounds.
- Portable generators are permitted as long as they do not create excessive noise, emission hazards or other safety concerns.
- Unauthorized use of UMass resources (power and cable hookups) is prohibited. Guests must provide their own power/video source.
- Only service animals are allowed inside McGuirk Alumni Stadium.
- Charcoal must be disposed of in hot coal barrels and trash in trash and recycling receptacles throughout the tailgating areas. Grease, coals or other trash may not be disposed of on the ground. Please do not place charcoal or other flammables in trash cans, under trees or leave in the tailgating or parking areas.
- Guests are responsible for making sure that the tailgating area and grounds are maintained in a clean and orderly manner. No trash or recyclable items are to be discarded anywhere except in trash and/or recycling containers placed by the University throughout the tailgate areas. Littering of any form will not be tolerated.
- Anyone who causes or creates a dangerous situation (fighting, threatening violence, or creating a hazardous or physically offensive situation) will be directed to leave or may be subject to arrest.
Prohibited Actions & Items:
- Large source containers of alcohol (ex. kegs, beer funnels, etc.)
- Drinking games (beer pong, flip cup, beer ball, etc.) or other activities involving rapid and/or excessive alcohol consumption
- Glass containers
- Deep fryers or any oil-based cooking or frying
- Fire pits
- Disorderly conduct
- Picketing, political campaigning or soliciting/distribution of any kind
- Saving parking or tailgating spaces
- Weapons and fireworks
- Sale of food, beverage, merchandise, etc.
- Amplified sound systems
- Inappropriate or vulgar music and language
- Drones and remote-controlled aircrafts
Failure to comply with these policies may result in (but not limited to) criminal charges, loss of tailgating privileges, immediate ejection from tailgating and/or campus, ban from campus grounds, and/or student disciplinary charges. Lots will be monitored for compliance of tailgating policies, University Code of Conduct and state law.
Student Parking Policies and Procedures
- Student village will open 3 hours prior to game time and tailgating will end at the start of each game.
- Students with parking passes will be permitted to park their cars in the lot between 3.5 hours from kickoff and 3 hours prior. There will be no exceptions. Vehicles that do not enter the lot in the 30 minute window will not be allowed into the student village, even if you have a pass.
- Cars cannot leave Student Village until halftime has commenced. No exceptions.
- Open containers cannot be carried in to or out of the Student Village area, regardless of the individuals age. Individuals must be at least 21 years of age to possess or consume alcoholic beverages
- Glass bottles are strictly prohibited everywhere on game day
- Music will be provided by one of our talented DJs from Vision Group Entertainment. Therefore, amplified music from audio speakers, music systems, bands and DJs are strictly prohibited in the lot
- No one will be permitted on top of trucks, truck beds or other vehicles while in the Student Village for safety reasons.
- Students will be able to request parking passes through the Militia Rewards App. You must download the app for access to a parking pass.
- To review all policies and procedures click here
Guests interested in hosting formal tailgate receptions or utilizing campus hospitality resources on game-day are encouraged to contact the UMass Athletics Ticket Office at 1-866-UMASS-TIX.
For tailgating policies questions or clarification, please contact UMass Athletics (413-545-4085) or the UMass Police Department (413-545-2121).